Just like him, many other people came to this young metropolis looking to make their fortune. However this young man was not one of the nameless many who drove the misery of the countryside into the aspiring city of Berlin. He was Caesar Behrendt, a homeowner and horse dealer from Stubent in West Prussia.
Caesar Behrendt was ready for an adventure. He was as adventurous as the city of Berlin that was bursting at the seams.
There were construction sites everywhere thanks to the huge lack of housing. The industry had exploded and its thirst for more land could hardly be satisfied. Rathenau built the first electricity plant: the AEG. And at number 16 Lothringer Strasse, a new enamel sign hung proudly next the entrance: Caesar Behrendt, Estate Agent.
A company was born
On 21 April 1888, Caesar Behrendt junior founded the estate agents A.C Behrendt, which can now look back on over 100 years of history.
Incidentally, the day the company was founded was the cause for two celebrations: Caesar had registered his own company and his son, Artur Caesar, celebrated his seventh birthday.
In 1888 (the “Year of the Three Emperors”) an era also came to an end with the death of Emperor Wilhelm I. After just 99 days of rule, Emperor Friedrich III died and “our glorious young Emperor” Wilhelm II was then crowned in the same year. Bismarck’s term of office was to last just two years.
The “new era” is here
The “new era” was here
Artur Caesar Behrendt had a sixth sense when it came to signs of the times and moved to the “refined West”.
In 1890, he opened his office at 15 Grollmannstrasse and became a member of the “Verein junger Kaufleute von Berlin” (Association of Young Salespersons in Berlin).
The company was established.
The 5th generation of integrity and reliability
His father, Wolfgang A. C. Behrendt, remained as joint managing director and was also a commercial judge at the Berlin District Court, 1st chairman of the Verein Berliner Immobilien-Börse e.V. and an honorary consultant to the expert committee for property values in Berlin.
On 1 October 1988, the company celebrated 100 years and his father celebrated 42 years as company director.
After the fire on 16 December 1989 at number 185 Kurfürstendamm, we had to find a new home.
We found it at 1 Landshuter Strasse in Schöneberg.
The loss of all the company documents and memories of the company’s long history in the fire weighed heavily on the senior boss in particular.
Just a few months after the fire he passed away on 2 April 1990. In spite of the pain of his death, the family business moved forward at full throttle.
New eras bring new tasks
The membership for the association was certified in 1982 for Alexander Caesar Behrendt. He is a member of the board of directors and today works on the competition committee, among other things.
He continues to run the business as the fifth generation to do so and sees the company’s reputation for integrity as one of the most important investments for the future.
In this fast-paced era with many changes taking place since the reunion on 3 October 1990 and the large construction projects and international companies surging into Berlin, there are still many tasks for an experienced and reputable real estate company.
We will face them according to the motto:
Committed to the tradition of the future!